Thursday, December 20, 2012

SPIRITUALITY - A PERSONAL AWAKENING


SPIRITUALITY -  A PERSONAL AWAKENING

My friend asked me “Is’nt spirituality a very personal thing?” I did not pause to answer and I said “yes”. In an earlier posting of mine I had written that ‘Spirituality is not about God, it is not about religion though it forms an integral part of religious practices. I could not bring myself to define or describe spirituality, for me it was only an experience, an inward journey and how can you express it in words?’. When a person embarks on a journey of self discovery, to find the very essence of his being and to define the deepest values by which he is to conduct his life you can say that he is on the spiritual path and the very process may be termed as spirituality. Why does he embark on such a process is a question to be explored. This exploration is a lonely voyage and to each his own path and that it is why it becomes so personal. As to the question why he feels the need to embark on such a journey, we can only presume that he has come face to face with a Sisyphean situation and feels the need to break out of this stranglehold. It could be a fear of termination or the sheer futility of his everyday actions. Albert Camus in his critique of Sartre’s ‘Nausea’ says “to live knowing that life is pointless is what gives rise to anguish, and if you live against the stream, the whole of your being is seized with disgust and revolt and this revolt of the body is what is called Nausea”. This is perhaps the beginning of the journey inwards.

I guess that everyone, whether he believes in a God or not, is always on a search throughout his life. A search for perpetuation whether he believes in reincarnation or not. That is why Sartre a confirmed atheist and who says that there is nothing beyond the life we are living now, ends his book Nausea with the hero who in our parlance had undergone a spiritual experience in the form of Nausea, decides to go back and complete the book he was writing in order to bring about an authenticity to the life he is leading.

What is the experience that one undergoes and which we can term as a spiritual experience is very simply described by Hermann Hesse in his novel ‘The Glass Bead Game’ – “My awakening has a similar kind of intensified reality for me. That is why I have given it this name; at such times I really feel as if I had lain asleep or half asleep for a long time, but am now awake and clear headed and receptive in a way I never am ordinarily.”

So where does God come in to all this and what is the role of religion? If you ask me I would say- define your God and follow Your religion. If it helps you on your voyage of self discovery and helping you to chart your course in life, you cannot ask for more. The problem or confusion arises when we search for an external God to answer our questions. We may benefit from the experience of others but we have to find our own answers.

I do not like it when some one tells me that this is what one should do to attain salvation, I do not appreciate preachers but I do not mind listening and learning from their experiences. Belief in God and religion is an individual choice as long as your beliefs make you a better person.

Yes spirituality is a very personal thing – to quote Albert Camus once again before I end “ An awakening of conscience, no matter how confused it may be develops from any act of rebellion and is represented by the sudden realization that something exists with which the rebel can identify himself even if only for a moment.”

7 comments:

Varsha Uke Nagpal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sublimation said...

I do not know why the comment has been deleted. I have not read it.

Varsha Uke Nagpal said...

What a pity that the comment has been deleted. Can anyone else delete it?

Sublimation said...

I do not think so. I think that this must have been my mistake, I may have accidentally clicked the delete box next to the comment. I wanted you to know that. Sorry, can you repeat it?

Varsha Uke Nagpal said...

It is only some who seek answers to their questions. Most keep living and spend their entire life doing things that they are told to do.
Those who wonder about the purpose of their life, go into their own search, an internal journey of seeking an answer. It is all within ourselves. The answers are within us. Some seek, some trust an external force who has a purpose in putting them where they are. This external force takes the entire blame, responsibility for everything that happens in the believers life.
Spirituality is very personal. It could be Aham Brahmasmi, or tatvam asi or khud in khuda. The easiest way out is to find a God and leave everything to him.
I wonder if I have stayed on the topic or strayed.

Varsha Uke Nagpal said...

It is only some who seek answers to their questions. Most keep living and spend their entire life doing things that they are told to do.
Those who wonder about the purpose of their life, go into their own search, an internal journey of seeking an answer. It is all within ourselves. The answers are within us. Some seek, some trust an external force who has a purpose in putting them where they are. This external force takes the entire blame, responsibility for everything that happens in the believers life.
Spirituality is very personal. It could be Aham Brahmasmi, or tatvam asi or khud in khuda. The easiest way out is to find a God and leave everything to him.
I wonder if I have stayed on the topic or strayed.

Sublimation said...

Thank you for reposting these comments. Your comments reinforce what I had wished to state.

THE PHILOSOPHY OF NOTHING

  THE PHILOSOPHY OF NOTHING It all started last night when I was watching the Tv. I do not pay much attention to the ads, but this one caugh...