Friday, September 7, 2012

AN ODE TO ‘THE SPARROW’



Nearly a month ago there was a newspaper report which said that sparrows are rarely sighted nowadays and as per the latest census of sparrows based on sightings there were only about two thousand and odd of them in Chennai and were seen only in certain areas of the city. I read it and did not think about it very much at that time.

It was therefore a pleasant surprise when in the morning I heard a chirping sound on the balcony, an unmistakable sound. I knew that it was a sparrow so I tip toed and peeked into the balcony. There it was sitting on the grill and chirping away and was soon joined by its mate. A sighting which gave me immense joy. I realised that I had missed my feathered friend all this while. The last time I saw a sparrow was a few years ago and that to under tragic circumstances. As it chirped and flitted across my drawing room it suddenly came within the range of the ceiling fan, was hit and dropped down dead. As I slowly picked up the lifeless body, took it to corner of the garden in the colony and placed it there, I was overcome by a sadness which I am unable to explain.

I watched both of them as they tried to build a nest in the pocket of my trousers which was left there to dry. I could not afford losing a pant and thought that I would give them a better option when I hung a pouch there for them to build their nest. They did inspect it for a day or two as I watched their efforts. I was hoping that they would take permanent residence there but after three days they did not come. I am still hoping they will return as I wait for the chirping sound in the mornings. I am waiting.

Sometime ago I had written ‘An Ode to The Banyan tree’ and posted it in my blog. Even now I remember the Banyan tree with fondness and due reverence. The two banyan trees that come to my mind are the banyan tree in front of my school on whose branches we used to climb and swing down its branches, and the great Banyan tree in the Theosophical Society in Chennai which is more than four hundred years old and could accommodate more than three thousand people under it.

Imagine a tiny little insignificant sparrow sitting somewhere on one of the branches of the banyan tree. Both have left their imprints in my life. The Banyan Tree has symbolised all that was parental and overwhelming, evoking feelings of reverence and awe, while the Sparrow has symbolised all those undiluted joys of childhood.

So it is with sadness I watched them go, one with the sorrow of having lost a parent and the other a sadness at watching your children grow up and go away.
                                                   
An Ode to ‘ The Sparrow’

My dear little sparrow,
Where have you been?
It’s many a morrow,
Since you were seen?
Have you been robbed
Of your little nest,
A place to comeback,
And take some rest?
A place you can call,
Your very own,
Watch all your kids,
Till they have grown;
And finally one day,
They would fly away,
To find their own mate,
To find their own way;
As you sit gazing at the sky,
You hear your mate’s far away cry,
Then you spread your wings,
Soar away once again.

So it was with joy,
And a strange sort of thrill,
I watched you sitting,
On my window grill,
Then chirping and flitting,
From wall to wall,
Searching for a corner,
In my dining hall.
Soon you found,
There was no space,
You flew away,
To find a better place.
So I hung a little pouch,
On the balcony wall,
Hoping that you would find
This closer to your call.

Oh! where have you gone,
My dear little friend,
For there are no nests,
In and around,
Have you been driven away,
To a far off land,
Or have you just gone,
Never to return.

The pouch still hangs,
On the balcony wall,
And I wait every morning,
To hear your chirping call. 

2 comments:

Varsha Uke Nagpal said...

Life goes on. Parents do not last forever, children have to move on. That is the cycle of life.
Enjoy being with those whom we love. Every moment is precious and should be used to make life better and happier for everyone around us.
I remember the bunyan tree was also the symbol of SBI at one time. The all encompassing tree which seemed to look very reassuring.

Deepak Pandya said...

This happened in Delhi too. First, I thaught it was it's severly polluted air. When I learnt the same about Chennai, I thought there could be some other cause.

This is a lousy picture of a giant sparrow at the Delhi state pavilion at the India International Trade Fair at Pragati Maidan some 5-6 years back.

There were reports a little before that, that the common sparrows have vanished from Delhi.The sparrow was declared the state bird of Delhi.

In our old house with open courtyard, those would be there all the time to the amusement of toddlers who would chase them and love the sound they made when they flew away apart from their chirping.

Yes, the fall of many a sparrows was experienced under the fan. On such a sight, Dr. Salim Ali becomes a bird watcher/lover/researcher. Subbu remembers it and writes a beautiful poem.

In Dehi's Chandni Chowk, as you walk in from the Red Fort end. The first red coloured building on the left is the Jain Mandir with a Hospital for Birds. It is an old two or three storeyed building. From the road you can see a large open verandah. It has ceiling fans. These fans have a wire mesh on top of them like the ones you have on a table fan. Jains, for sure have a kind heart for all living beings.

After reading the newspaper reports, I started consciously looking for sparrows, the most common birds I knew, and realized they had vanished indeed. When you put water for birds, only crows come.

Vultures, that we often could see feeding on a carcass in open land, have vanished too. Parsees are having difficulty in luring them to towers of silence.

I wonder if the sparrows are too sensitive to the radio waves all around with cellphone towers everywhere. The chronology matches.

I doubt if the birds and the bees have stopped doing it.

One of the first rhymes that I learnt was about sparrows.

Ek chidia ke bachche chaar,
Ghar se nikley pankh pasaar.

Poorab se woh pashchim aaye,
uttar se phir dakshin dhaaye.

Ghoom gham jab laut ke aaye,
Maata ko yeh vachan sunaaye,

Dekh liya hamne jag saara,
Apnaa ghar hai sabse pyara.

I taught this to my granddaughters.

This means.
A sparrow had four chicks.
They spread their wings and went away from home.
From the East they came to rhe West.
Then they went from the North to the South.
When they returned after roaming all around. They told their mother.
We have seen the whole world, Our home is the best.

THE PHILOSOPHY OF NOTHING

  THE PHILOSOPHY OF NOTHING It all started last night when I was watching the Tv. I do not pay much attention to the ads, but this one caugh...