Friday, January 20, 2012

ODE TO THE BANYAN TREE


AN ODE TO THE BANYAN TREE

Time stood still,
Like the dust on my window sill,
I shifted my gaze,
To the vast open space,
Where once stood the Banyan tree.

You’ve watched,
Me, my father and many others grow,
How old you were,
None of us, we ever came to know,
You were always there.

You have shed,
Your benevolence on us all,
Be it spring, summer or the fall,
You let us swing on your arm,
Kept us out of any harm.

You stood there,
Through mighty wind and pouring rain,
You showed not a bit of strain,
You stood straight, upright,
Showed them all your might.

Now I gaze,
At that wide open space,
Once filled with your divine grace,
Now you’ve left us, made us brood,
Left us all in a sombre mood.

The sun has set,
And I have cleared the dust,
The air is filled with the winter chill,
All things go, and they must,
For time will not stand still.

2 comments:

Sudheer Mankodi said...

Hi Subbu,
Banyan tree was also the Symbol of SBI once upon a time!

Dasarathi said...

Beautiful ! brings out nostalgic past memories at one level and the ethereal impermanance of life at another.

THE PHILOSOPHY OF NOTHING

  THE PHILOSOPHY OF NOTHING It all started last night when I was watching the Tv. I do not pay much attention to the ads, but this one caugh...